Volunteer Needed for Carrying Books from India

This is a request for help. My modest little book “Transforming India” will be ready for distribution in about two weeks. If you or anyone you know is willing to carry a bunch of them as accompanied baggage from India (anywhere) to the SF Bay area, you will have my eternal gratitude(*). Specifically I am looking for people traveling in the 25th May to 10th June time frame. I will pay for any additional costs charged by the airlines. Thank you. (* eternal gratitude limited to three days or eternity, whichever comes first.)

20 thoughts on “Volunteer Needed for Carrying Books from India

1. shyam Thursday May 12, 2011 / 1:30 am

I have my friend travelling on 21st of May. Let me know if that works.

• Atanu Dey Friday May 13, 2011 / 4:22 pm

Shyam,

Thanks for the offer. I think 21st will be too early to get the books to you. I appreciate your offer to help.

Common Hindu,

Thank you for the offer. I am sorry that I will not be able to have the books so soon. I appreciate it very much.

2. one Thursday May 12, 2011 / 10:55 am

kanjoos

• Atanu Dey Thursday May 12, 2011 / 12:33 pm

Dear “one” —

“kanjoos” is the right word. If I keep my costs down by being kanjoos, I can keep the price down, which helps in more people buying the book. I am not selling the books to make money but rather to get more people understand my point of view. I did not know it but shipping per book is working out to be $4 per book (Indian postal service to the US) and bringing them as excess baggage on India-US flights works out to be over $2 per book.

Since it is not a best-seller priced at $20 or $30, every little bit counts. Perhaps it will sell a few hundred copies as hard copies and a few more as an ebook. Hence the request for people who are traveling to the US from India and have a few kilos of baggage allowance to spare.

3. Kaffir Thursday May 12, 2011 / 12:48 pm

Atanu, is there a way you could enable the hyperlinks in your “Atanu on Twitter” widget on this blog? Right now, the links appear as text and I cannot click on them. Thanks.

• Atanu Dey Friday May 13, 2011 / 4:25 pm

Kaffir,

I am sorry that I don’t know how to do that. I will have to look for another twitter widget for wordpress blogs. Any help would be great. Thanks.

4. Why Thursday May 12, 2011 / 10:37 pm

Why the SF bay area? I know there are a lot of Indians there, but they’re not in India right? Of course it’s your book and your call… but I was just curious.

• Atanu Dey Friday May 13, 2011 / 4:27 pm

Hi Why,

SF Bay area because this is where I live. I expect to have copies for a book release here. The bulk of the readers, I expect, will be in India. I don’t expect more than a few hundred copies to be bought in the US.

5. Sanjeev Sabhlok Thursday May 12, 2011 / 10:50 pm

Nice to hear about this book, Atanu. Will try to pick it up as soon as I can find it (or probably get one from India). I trust your book has an action plan to deliver the transformation as well, not merely a lecture to the converted.

• Atanu Dey Friday May 13, 2011 / 4:29 pm

Sanjeev,

Actually, yes, there is an action plan for transformation. It may be surprising that for something so complex as the problem of India’s development, the answer happens to be fairly simple.

6. one Friday May 13, 2011 / 11:32 am

“I am not selling the books to make money” then at least make e-book as free.

• Atanu Dey Friday May 13, 2011 / 4:34 pm

one–

Will reply to you in a blog post.

7. Santosh Friday May 13, 2011 / 3:14 pm

Leaving this Sunday, returning on June 10’th(St Louis, MO)

• Atanu Dey Friday May 13, 2011 / 4:24 pm

Santosh,

June 10th seems more like a suitable date. However, as I had mentioned previously, I am looking for someone traveling to the SF Bay area. I appreciate your offer. Thank you.

8. Kaffir Friday May 13, 2011 / 4:34 pm

Atanu, I don’t use WordPress, but maybe Shantanu would have some idea. The (similar) Twitter widget on his blog renders the URLs as active links.

9. ashish Sunday May 15, 2011 / 4:36 am

Atanu
    are there any previews or publicity material/ web links for this book?

10. Shivani Monday May 16, 2011 / 9:24 am

Atanu,

Will this book be available on Amazon for purchase? Please confirm the release date?

-Shivani

11. Ranger Thursday May 19, 2011 / 7:22 pm

2 questions.

1. Will you release an e-book version on Amazon ?

2. Will it be available on flipkart ?

• Atanu Dey Saturday May 21, 2011 / 12:03 pm

Ranger:

1. Yes, there will be a kindle version.
      2. Yes, it will be available in flipkart.

Comments are closed.